- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed in a sieve
- 1 cup low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 15oz can black beans (no salt added), drained and rinsed
- 1 14.5oz can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (no salt added)
- zest from one lime
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 avocado, sliced or diced
- juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 cup shredded pepper jack cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, optional for topping
- plain Greek yogurt or sour cream, optional for topping
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, add the EVOO & jalapeno. Cook for 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the quinoa, vegetable broth, black beans, fire-roasted tomatoes, lime zest, chili powder, cumin, salt & pepper to the pan. Stir to combine. Bring the ingredients to a boil then reduce to simmer and cover the pan. Let the quinoa cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the lid and 'fluff' the quinoa with a fork - simply scrape the quinoa away from the sides and bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the avocado and lime juice. Top with pepper jack cheese, if using, and other desired toppings.
By Ilana Traeger
Adapted from Damn Delicious
Lana del Crave https://lanadelcrave.com/