No two snowflakes look the same and neither do these cookies! This recipe has always been a crowd-pleaser, since my family and I would bake cookies to give as holiday gifts. Soft chocolate dough rolled in sweet confectioners sugar before baking is what gives these cookies their snowflake design.
- Keep the dough cold. This recipe is super easy to follow but the dough must be refrigerated for 1-2 hours. Make sure you aren’t baking these at the last minute, unless the ‘last minute’ means about 3 hours prior to eating them (just to be safe).
- Double the recipe if you plan to share. These will go quickly; I ate 2 myself, before they even had a chance to cool. You don’t need to make this recipe in 2 batches, you can simply double each ingredient while following the recipe.
- 4 oz Baker's Unsweetened Chocolate
- 2 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- Melt the chocolate either in the microwave or using a double boiler. Note: If you use the microwave, heat the chocolate for 30 seconds, remove then stir. Repeat this step until the chocolate is completely melted.
- While the chocolate is melting, combine flour, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a large bowl or stand mixer, combine the vegetable oil, eggs, granulated sugar and vanilla. With the mixer on medium-low, to avoid scrambling the cold eggs, add the hot melted chocolate. Slowly incorporate the dry ingredients until just combined. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Pour 1 cup of confectioners sugar into a bowl.
- Using a cookie scoop, scoop the dough into your hand then roll into a perfect ball. One at a time, add the dough balls to the confectioners sugar then place onto the cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart. Repeat until the cookie sheets are full.
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Remove and let cool completely before serving or storing.
- If you can't find 'Baker's', use your favorite unsweetened chocolate brand!